With holidays coming around petty crime goes up. We have to be more vigilant and expect more trouble during the holidays. Here are C.O.B.R.A.’s basic parking lot safety rules.
- Park close to destination, well lit if possible
- Avoid parking around blind corner on the sides of businesses.
- Lock car immediately when entering or exiting
- Watch big vehicles blocking yours, this will hide an attack.
- Move fast, keep your head up and carry yourself with confidence.
You’re most vulnerable going in/out of the car. You may think it’s safe but it is easier and faster to car jack you for the keys than to break into your vehicle.
- Cell phone use – calls & texts
- Adjusting mirrors
- Applying make up
- Fiddling around
Be extra aware if loading a child or groceries – you’re stopped for a good length of time.
- Realize what you look like – are you a soft target?
- Avoid pulling notes off windshields; move car to a new location first.
- If you’re summoned by a stranger, do not get out or roll down the window – drive off.
- Know and understand the anti-abduction techniques taught in the COBRA Self-Defense System.
- Use vehicles and shopping carts as obstacles in the event you are approached.
- When in doubt, walk out with someone.
- Vehicles with occupants that have not moved that are sitting close to you should be avoided.
- Use any and all objects as weapons.
- Watch out for two man teams, even mixed genders, where one distracts while the other lifts your wallet or purse. I’ve seen this one first hand in Kansas City.