What to Do and What Not to Do.
Many people fall victim to senseless crimes like road rage. People are victimized by someone they don’t know and will never meet again after the incident. Many who fall victim could have completely avoided it all together
1. Never brake check or ride someones bumper because you feel slighted. There is no upside and it will further escalate the situation.
2. Avoid pulling up to the car in front of you at red lights. Leave enough room so you can turn left or right if you need to escape.
3. If someone flipping the middle finger, honking or cussing makes you want to retaliate then that may be your ego talking. Not responding to childish vulgar acts isn’t a sign of weakness. It’s a sign of intelligence. Ego is a poor substitute for intelligence so keep it in check and move on.
4. Never get out of your car. If someone gets out of their car and begins to approach yours you should lock the doors, roll up your windows and call 911. This way you will not be engaging the other driver and will be advising the police of where you are, what’s going on and giving a description of the driver and vehicle. You are in a very secure place inside of your vehicle.
Even if they kick or smash out a headlight , don’t get out. They have now committed a crime and will be going to jail and you are one insurance claim away from getting what ever is damaged fixed.
5. Never follow someone. What’s the upside to doing that? Nothing. Let’s say they stopped , got out and kicked out your head light then ran back to their car and took off. Would chasing them down do anything to change it? No. It will most likely escalate it. People get killed over the most minor of events. Take a picture with your smart phone and file a police report. Their tag will lead them right to the drivers front door.
Bonus: Finally if you are being harassed, followed or anything related to road rage you should pull right up to a very public place like Walmart, Home Depot or a grocery store. Not just in a parking lot. Pull right up to the front door so there are lot’s of witnesses. Keep the doors locked and wait for the police to arrive.